Saturday, January 23, 2010

the notorious nate sherwood interview

some of you may know Nate Sherwood from his "notorious Nate" spots on Fuel TV's American Misfits show.
ive been talking to nate a little bit on face book, and asked him if he would do a interview for oldkooks, well he said yes, even seemed really stoked to do it.
im no interviewer, but hope you all enjoy this.


sam:
Ok first off the stats, could you list your sponsors for us?

nate:
Airspeed footwear. Deep end clothing. rekon skateboards , arnette eye wear willy santos and his workshop. bull taco tim taylor filming , jay reilly photo work , and my lady on cooking. linz p. kontrol wheels when they do not flake on mailing goods.


sam:
How old are you, and how long have you been skateboarding?

nate:
i been skating since I was 8 in 1988 I am 30 years old right now damn i feel old


sam:
What size gear do you ride (deck, trucks, wheels)


nate:
trucks fury EVO hi,s for a 7.75 wide deck by 32 inch long and 14'1/2 wheel base. clear grip if i can score it if not I beg Kristin S for some. 50 mm wheels as hard as can be from kontrol , when they flake and trust me they fucking do , i hit up ally chris and trade him lunch for plan b wheels. or beg my dowg matt in philly for some pusher wheels but they flake like dandruff so at times I end up buying some wheels or trading a deck in for some.


sam:
We all have influences in and out of skateboarding that help to shape who we are as skaters, could you tell us about one of yours?


nate:
man I would say Rodney Mullen Daewon Song both have given me insperskation over the years though their creskative mind sets and innovation and creation of tricks. rodney once said to me that yiou should never dork around that is when you get hurt. Daewon said to me that you just need to keep a positive mental attitude and you can pull anything no matter how long or how hard you been trying it for hours. rob welsh has been a big hero of mine forever. he is a nice dude as well. willy santos is my main homey and side kick even though i see him once a year at most now. brandon troy eggelston is my biggest hero outside of skating , he is my best friend. eric stricker who was a close bro and has not passed away was a great mentor on how shady the industry is. he showed me the ropes. SAM FRANSIK is the dude he rules. , RP bess gave me a chance when others were sucking at life. he showed me a lot on how to live off of skating but a lot of lame advice as well. lol todd miller and ted helped a bro out when he was down on his luck and they are chill dudes. paul at cal skate is my bro for life. dan and sean lafferty are my life long hero's i been looking up to them since i was 9 years old. jeremy klein taught me how to be hardcore and to tell people to fuck off who pissed me off. per Welinder is one rad dude as well. so many more i could write a phone book here. I have to say Seu Trhin is one funny dude and has my back. steve and greg at bull taco rock as well. they all shaped me in one way or another gave me good advice and I cannot thank them all enough for their help over the years. Dave Hupp Chris Fissel and rockmen chung mike chin and his older bro all been huge influences in my skating. to this day.



sam:
Ive seen your shoe with Air Speed, how did that come about, what do you do for the company, and what is it like working with a legend like Mike McGill?


nate:
man mike rules I truly am honored to be working with him. the guy skates hard. he rips and he is a down to earth cat. kristin and sumner as well as pat all rock and we have a great posse. j mac the guy who runs airspeed hit me up one day out of the blue. we met up for a meeting and the rest was history. i am trubro stoked to be a part of airspeed.



sam:
In all of the video ive seen of you, and spots on American misfits on Fuel TV, you always seem to be really enjoying yourself, skating joking, and playing, is that stuff truly representative of a session with nate?


nate:
yeah man I laban and ted just fallow me around for 1 weeks time and then they chop it up and boom there is the season.
nothing is planned nothing is blue printed. it is a full organic way to skate rather than my video parts where i spend 1 or 2 days on each trick AND after 2 years have a full part. I feel like my master work is in my vid parts but A.M. is my vent to the worlds to not take skating so serious like my mono lisa is in "more tricks less politics" or the up coming "i suck at life video" which will b e done soon I hope. but my relaxskation is on fuel. ted rocks and i am stoked to be on the show. it is like pollack i just splatter tricks and have fun jump around eat candy and go back to being 8 years old. lol yes i am like that 90 percent of the time it is no act. unless i am stressing a trick but that is rare for me. we just have fun skate and try not to drown or be ran over and it rocks.


sam:
Any big skate plans (trips, vids, etc) for 2010 you can tell us about?


nate:
yes i am headed to lv to skate with some dudes real soon. like late feb. i am wirking on the I suck at life vid, and as well doing non stop vids for you tube check them out under suburban mail box airspeed has me behind the camera and in front so i do mad stuff for them and their site www.airspeedfootwear.com so peep that. I am planning to head back east in summer and finish some biz that I did not get done last year there. i hope to get back home aka portland then as well. I have so many huge irons in the fire it breaks my head. trying to bang out as much covrage as i can for airspeed and rekon as i can trying to get deep end off the ground with the guts over there and as well just pay biils and sleep.


sam:
Lastly I would like to thank you for taking the time to do this, and providing quality entertainment for my family and I, we really appreciate it, and hope to see more of Nate Sherwood in 2010



nate:
no prob brother. I am stoked to do it. oh I would love to thank The Barna,s both for being rad friends and as well my mom and dad. my sis in p town. j mac at airspeed and geraldo at rekon and all my friends all over. oh tim taylor and sam f. and roy u guys rock. talks oon.





links
http://airspeed.us/



some footage from nates upcoming vid dropping in march 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment