Tuesday, March 2, 2010

written ACE trucks review with pictures

Ace trucks......
Well I’ve skated them enough to have an opinion.

I’m not going to give them some kind of numeric rating or anything. I have never seen one I felt like I trusted, being so subjective to even what the numbers mean, or let alone describe performance for anyone but the person making up the numbers.
Just going to describe how they felt, and how they held up for me.

I of course had predisposed ideas about them before I ever had seen a set, even though I try hard not to let most of what I read on the net, or hear at the park about this product influence my opinion, especially if I’ve had zero personal interaction with said product. But of course shit seeps in.


One of the things I heard the most from the people who love them is the way they turn.

Fast, tight turning when compared to Indy's. And though I’ve not been the most die hard fan of Indy in the past, they really are the gold standard in skateboarding. Everyone already knows why, so I won’t bother explaining it.

They do turn sharper and faster. There is just no way around it. If you come straight off a set of stage 10's, these are going to feel super turny, almost squirrelly. My first couple of high-speed runs on them were a bit scary, but getting used to them was no problem at all. The fear turns to fun really fast.


One of the things I heard the most from the people who didn’t like them was that they bent really easy.
To be honest and fair to Ace, I made it my priority to test this. I went so far as to double the washers on the inside of the wheels to push the wheel out a little and apply more force to the outside of the axel,
then beat the shit out of them,

repeated front 180's off a 4 foot drop, and tons of fly outs to flat off a 6foot 1/4 etc...

no bending whatsoever, none.

The other thing I’ve heard from the people, in the NOT a fan list, is that they grind down super fast.
I’ve heard a few times now that they were made of a lighter grade of aluminum.
Admittedly, I didn’t get to do any outdoor skating on there, and almost no crete coping.

But I did put a few miles of dry un-waxed coping under them and was just starting to get lock in groves going. They didn’t seem to be warring any faster to me. I only had a month on a brand new set of Indys when I got the Aces and rode the Aces for a month of hard skating, so I can show pics for comparison on wear.

I did kill them though:
tail slides, blunt slides and a few 90 deg. landings shifted the axle on the back truck to the point I had to loosen up the toe side back wheel a half turn three times in a 3 hour session.
I was running wheel spacers but as I said above, I had doubled up on the inside washers. Don’t know if that would have an effect, but I don’t know that it wouldn’t either.


Overall, they were really fun to ride. Like I said they are a little squirrelly at first but once you’re used to them, the turning feels great, and I don’t think there allot weaker compared to indy, or any other truck out there.




wear marks after one month

ACE

Photobucket

Photobucket


indy's

Photobucket

Photobucket



ACE against the straight edge (hard to hold and shoot)


front

Photobucket


back

Photobucket




for info on ACE trucks

http://www.acetruckmfg.com/


indy

http://www.independenttrucks.com/

5 comments:

  1. the review was rad bro, so now you gotta tell us - what is the verdict? thumbs up or thumps down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i give them a thumbs up over all, there good trucks, i like them, but the only trucks that i havnt shifted an axle on ever is indy, so im going to stick with them

    ReplyDelete
  3. ACE trucks do bend badly! Love the way they turn but have bent 5 sets (note, ACE always did Replace them). They’re the only trucks I want to ride but they keep bending on me so going back to Indi’s. If they ever get the bending axles fixed I’ll be the first inline for some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 2 sets the 55 and 66. I ride old school style decks a pig and a rob roskopp. I bent the back truck on my backside turns just the one side on both sets They still ride good but you can see the one side is bending. The wider set (66) is more bent then 55. I only ride park and do not put them under alot stress other than the fact I am almost 200 lbs. I would choose Indys over ace but I got them on the cheep so I got my money out of them and they still ride straight enough. they do have a nice fast turn. The grinding I do are on copping so no comments on that. Enjoyed your review just a little different than my experience

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 2 sets the 55 and 66. I ride old school style decks a pig and a rob roskopp. I bent the back truck on my backside turns just the one side on both sets They still ride good but you can see the one side is bending. The wider set (66) is more bent then 55. I only ride park and do not put them under alot stress other than the fact I am almost 200 lbs. I would choose Indys over ace but I got them on the cheep so I got my money out of them and they still ride straight enough. they do have a nice fast turn. The grinding I do are on copping so no comments on that. Enjoyed your review just a little different than my experience

    ReplyDelete